Tuesday, November 22, 2016

Tasty Tuesday: Sweet and Spicy-Grilled THAI Chicken



Today's Tasty Tuesday Recipe was a lot of fun when I made it this weekend with my son, (we try and cook together on Sunday afternoons) with some ingredients that I have been itching to try out... namely the very pungent and savory Fish sauce (Nam Pla) and the Chinese Rice Vinegar.
Its easily available in gourmet stores and though I was a little reluctant to try it once I opened the bottle because of the strong smell, I needed to get over my mental block and give it a shot.
And believe you me, if you can kind of ignore the initial smell when you pour it out of the bottle... its no longer there after the cooking, just a lovely earthy taste!
But in case you are reluctant to be adventurous or you want to make this dish NOW without waiting for your trip to the gourmet store... well I have an alternative for you...

Note: You can use Worcestershire sauce or even soya sauce with a little lemon juice.
But if you can get your hands on Fish Sauce- nothing like it in Thai cooking!
Another special ingredient that I used in this is the Thai sweet chilli sauce that is easily available in all supermarkets... even with Funfoods brand.
Okay so lets get started with this lip-smacking, finger licking delicious chicken.

SWEET and SPICY GRILLED THAI CHICKEN

Ingr:
I kg Chicken-skinless (preferably thighs+legs and wings)
2 tbsp oil for basting.

Marinade:
If you can get 1 fresh lemon grass stalk (white part finely chopped) or you can use dried lemon grass like me and discard it after cooking.
1 full bulb of garlic, crushed and minced
3 tbsp fish sauce (look up the note above for alternatives)
1 tbsp sesame oil
2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
2 tbsp rice vinegar
4 tbsp sweet chilli sauce
3 tbsp brown sugar
1/2 tsp chilli flakes
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp salt.

For garnish:
lemon wedges
small thai red chillies, finely sliced
coriander leaves, chopped



Method:
1. Make slits in the chicken thighs and legs. Place it in a ziplock bag and pour the marinade over it.
Rub the marinade well into the chicken and then leave overnight or at least 3 hours.
2. Remove the chicken from the marinade and keep the marinade aside for basting. along with oil.
3. If grilling over an outdoor charcoal grill- grill as you would any marinated chicken.
4. If there is no grill, you can even cook it in a deep pan, covered, along with the marinade and its juices till the chicken is cooked through and browned on both sides.
Then if you do have a grill pan, grill it on that so that you get the nice grilled lines on the chicken..
I grilled mine later in a panini maker coz I was too lazy to take out my outdoor grill.
It can also be baked in the oven at 180C for about 40 minutes (esp if boneless) while basting with the marinade and turning it over once, half way through.
5. Serve over steamed rice with lime wedges, chopped fresh coriander and thai chilli.

Enjoy licking your fingers!








2 comments:

  1. Already drooling... can't wait to try it..!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don’t know how should I give you thanks! I am totally stunned by your article. You saved my time. Thanks a million for sharing this article.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...